Salem, the smart city is smart enough in delivering mouth-watering foods apart from its popularity in steel production and mango imports. Salem houses have a large number of restaurants to serve high-quality vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods but the street foods are in no way lesser in melting your tastebuds. “Salem is always special for street foods where common dishes too served yummily”. Here are some of the best street foods in Salem.
As a food blogger, we not only apprise you of the popular street foods in Salem but also reveal to you the places where these foods are traditionally served with exceptional quality and hygiene and at reasonable costs.
1) Thattuvadai set
Indians purely love spicy, flavourful, tangy, and fried foods for which the rocketing number of street food shops stand exemplary. Thattuvadai is one of its kind and is the most popular street food in Salem. Thattuvadai is a chat, served with a deep-fried crispy rice cookie, replenished with a red onion tomato chutney and a green spicy chilly mint coriander chutney further topped up with lemon juice and healthy beetroot, carrot, and onions grated. One can find this mouth-watering recipe all over Salem streets.
- Viji Thattuvadai Shop, Ammapet, Salem. Contact: +91-9791312618
- Sathi Thattuvadai Shop, 9-B, Sankar Nagar, Rajaram Nagar road, Salem. Contact: +91-8925207081
- Muthu Masala Poori Thattuvadai set, 96, Kabilar Street, Shevvapet, Salem. Contact: +91-9865110296
Jilebi is known to everyone as a delicious, crunchy, and yummy sweet usually served hot. Salem Jilebi is in high demand and to add ecstasy, a street itself is named Jilebi Street in Guhai, Salem. The traditional Jilebi is prepared by plenty of experienced workers in this street who are preparing this sweet for decades. During Diwali, the orders for sweets in this street are massive. Since the sweets prepared in this street are economically viable, people from all classes enjoy this traditional sweet served in banana leaves.
- Shree Shanmuga Vilas Jilebi Shop, Gugai, Salem. Contact: +91-9786500355
- Ali Jilebi Kadai, AMC road, Salem
- Krishna Iyer Mittai Kadai, AMC Road, Salem
3) Kari Dosa
Kari Dosa is one of the popular non-vegetarian delights available in Salem and beyond any doubt, this dish will assuredly persuade every non-veg lover. The dosa is available with Mutton, Chicken, and Nattu Kozhi. Copious people enjoy this sensational dish as a dinner.
- Hotel Sri Parasakthi, 55/36, Venkatappan Road, Shevvapet, Salem.
- Ramakrishna Mess, Venkatappan Road, Shevvapet, Salem. Contact: +91-9994731153 (a 60-year old famous street food shop)
- Selvi Mess, 123, Attur Main Road, Roundtana, Seelanaickenpatti, Salem. Contact: 0427-2281577
4) Bun Masala / Bread Masala
Bun Masala is an exceptional evening Snack made of grated carrots, chickpeas, spicy green chutney, onion, tomato, coriander, and obviously buns/bread. This amazing snack is served hot as veg as well as a non-veg dish (eggs).
- Bun Masala Shop (Thatha Kadai), Ramakrishna Road, Linemedu, Gugai, Salem (45-year-old shop)
- Bread Masala Shop, Near Kandhampatty Bye-pass, RTO office Road, Salem.
5) Chilli Chicken
Chilli Chicken or Chicken 65 is a deep-fried, spicy, flavorful mouth-watering chicken served with chopped onions. The street food is available all over the streets of Salem and is a fantastic evening snack.
- Royal Karuppan Chicken Corner, Opposite Vinayaga Mission Engineering College, Nh 47, Seeragapadi, Ariyanoor, Salem. Contact: +91-8667553774
- Ramakrishna Mess, Venkatappan Road, Shevvapet, Salem. Contact: +91-9994731153
- Balaji Chilli Chicken Stall, Near Ammapettai Arch, Salem (A 33-year-old stall)
Parotta is a popular yet favorite food to plenty and is also one of the popular street foods of Salem. The city offers the best parotta with vegetarian and non-vegetarian gravies. You can also enjoy a wide variety of parottas including Madurai fame Poricha parotta, Vazhai ilia Parotta and Bun parotta.
- Saravanas Parottas, (chain of restaurants in Shevvapet and Alagapuram pudur in Salem)
- Delhi Darbar, Meyyanur, Salem
- Swarnapuri Crescendo Multicuisine Restaurant, Seelanaickenpatti, Salem
Salem is also famous for traditional biriyani which not squander the wishes of non-veg lovers. The city holds various high-quality restaurants and street food shops that serve yummy biriyani.
- Salem RR Biriyani (a chain of high-quality restaurants)
- Kovai Biriyani Hotel, Brindavan Road, Salem
- Selvi Mess, Swarnapuri, Salem
Kuzhambu is a gravy that can be served with Idli, Dosa, Chapathi, Parotta, and Rice. This gravy ideally helps people to skip cooking side-dishes. Many street food shops in Salem offer a variety of Kuzhambu to suit both vegetarian and non-vegetarian lovers. The offered kuzhambu varieties are Sambar, Puli kuzhambu, Mushroom kuzhambu, Veg kurma, Mutton kuzhambu, Fish kuzhambu and Chicken kuzhambu.
- Sri Laxmi Catering, 149, Narasingapuram East street, Gugai, Salem. Contact:+91 9698654499 / 9095373290
- Sri Gugai Catering, Near Gugai mariamman koil, Gugai, Salem. Contact: +91-9842072780
9) Paruthi Paal
Paruthi Paal is a traditional yet highly nutritive healthy drink of South India made from cotton seeds, karupatti, jaggery, coconut milk, rice, and dry ginger. The beverage is regarded as a triple nutrient drink since it carries essential fatty acids, highly rich source of protein and sugars.
- Salem Famous Street Foods, Shevvapet, Opposite to Chatiram amma mess, Salem.
- Hotel Aditya, 128, Trichy Main Road, Karungalpatty, Gugai, Salem
If you planning a trip to Salem, give it a try with the specified street foods. You can explore the streets of Salem to relish your tongue with these amazing foods.