Chennai resident was admitted to a hospital after he suffered severe burn injuries while lighting a cigarette. The man, 50, who resides in Ashok Nagar area was identified as Ruban who works as a carpenter. Ruban came home late on Saturday after work and immediately washed his hands with a liquid sanitiser and then lit a cigarette, sparks of which fell on him and caught fire.
A family member of Ruban informed the police that he had come home after work and immediately cleaned his hands with sanitiser but a few drops of the alcohol-based cleanser fell on his shirt. He was informed of it by a family member but Ruban said he will be changing his clothes anyway after a bath and hence didn’t change the shirt right then.
Police said Ruban then went inside the bathroom and lit a cigarette when a few sparks fell on his shirt accidently that soon engulfed him in flames.
His family members rushed to the bathroom to rescue him and took him to the government medical college hospital at Kilpauk.
Ruban suffered severe burns to his face, neck, chest, both arms and abdomen and his condition is said to be critical, according to an officer. The high alcohol content in the sanitisers make them flammable and it is advisable to use it in a place, where there is no direct heat or fire.
Doctors have said that even though sanitiser evaporate within 2-5 seconds of applying them, but using a cigaratte or a similar flame-inducing object can cause a threat. The high ethyl alcohol content of up to 62% makes a sanitiser a risk and highly flammable and thus doctors advise that they be used with utmost care and allowed to dry before lighting a fire.