Shopping is the best part of any journey. To shop like in foreign countries is a dream for me and probably for you too, right? After all, who doesn’t want to enjoy the lush life? Shiny malls? Cash on delivery? E-commerce? Home delivery? Nothing can replace budget shopping at Pondy Bazaar.
Next time you visit Chennai, be sure to visit Pondy Bazaar where you can get abroad like experience in shopping. A bit confusing? Yes, you read that right.
Thanks to the Smart City Project. Executed under Rs 40 Crore, the city’s first Pedestrian plaza was inaugurated by the Honorable Chief Minister at the junction between Pondy bazaar and Bashyam road in T Nagar on November 13.
What is Pedestrian Plaza?
It makes use of the space available on the existing road,to incorporate all pedestrian amenities and create an open social space outside shops free of vehicles.
Who gets benefited?
People, especially senior citizens and differently- able can walk, shop, eat, and lounge freely without the fear of motor accidents.
T Nagar – Now
Why do we need such?
This massive makeover in Chennai is established because of the Increasing pollution rates. It aims to prioritize non-motorized transport and encourage citizens to take walks rather than vehicles.
Some of its key features, take a look!
1) Wide pavements of 10m to facilitate the movement of pedestrians and shoppers.
2) Children’s play area
3) Clusters of benches under trees serves as a resting space after shopping.
4) Hassle-free wheelchair passage
5) Pedestrian lights and Street lights to remove ‘Black Spots’
6) Other facilities like Smart toilets, street games for kids, smart bikes, and also battery-operated shuttle service to help senior citizens for mobility purpose.
And more and more!
In the next phase, pedestrian plaza will come up in Anna Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur, Velachery and George Town. How cool is that? *wink, wink*
The pedestrian plaza has become synonymous with Pondy Bazaar now! This plaza is one more step to reduce dependence on vehicles and to show how a city can be enjoyed better by foot!